Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Personal Philosophy (Technique)

1 comment:

  1. Philosophies and process
    DISNEY
    Focus on story and character
    Disney: p.172 “The most important aim of any of the fine arts is to get a purely emotional response from the beholder”. P.173 “You have to portray not only [that] this thing is moving, but it is actually alive and thinks.”
    Industrializing of animation: The Animated Man, p. 81 Disney: “I kind of think it was the nicest thing I ever did for this business when I realized that it was not like the old art of painting and things, that it was a new art. That it was a mass production for survival…Of course, the industry was set up that way…before I came into it. But I think I organized more mass production things than had ever been used in the industry before.”
    p.82 Encouraged innovation of his animators
    p. 126 – detail oriented, approved every minute detail of Snow White. Oversaw creation of the multi-plane camera.
    Development of West Coast style http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3815059?searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3Dwalt%2Bdisney%26wc%3Don%26acc%3Don&resultItemClick=&Search=yes&uid=3739928&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21103822726327
    Storyboards: http://books.google.com/books?id=41e-Ru0wRkEC&pg=PA171&lpg=PA171&dq=walt+disney+storyboard+pencil+test&source=bl&ots=AVrPIbZebf&sig=3xDqeUOP5fr5pYJAj2fIGvmgtgc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OoBDU8mgO6iMyAGDp4DwDg&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=walt%20disney%20storyboard%20pencil%20test&f=false p.169 the pencil test p.170 overlapping action p.171 storyboard
    Took risks (“Disney’s folly”) http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/wp-content/uploads/satevepost/Disneys-Folly1.pdf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3ElTbrSBc In Bambi, took animals in the studio – developed “full” animation further than before.





    MIYAZAKI
    "if, as artists, we try to tap into that soul level - if we say that life is worth living and the world is worth living in - then something good might come of it." He shrugs. "Maybe that's what these films are doing. They are my way of blessing the child" http://www.theguardian.com/film/2005/sep/14/japan.awardsandprizes
    http://twitchfilm.com/2009/07/hayao-miyazaki-talks-ponyo.html Storyboards meticulously, does it himself
    For those who are in their powerless childhood, when they feel helpless, fantasy has something to give them relief. When children face complicated or difficult problems, they have to dodge at first. They would surely lose if they tried to tackle it head-on http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/sen.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTczx-yhjA Animates himself when his workers don’t do a satisfactory job.
    Stream of consciousness approach to storytelling, doesn’t know the ending when he starts http://www.midnighteye.com/interviews/hayao-miyazaki/
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/hayao-miyazaki-retirement-the-wind-rises Does his storyboards completely by himself
    http://japanfocus.org/-Margaret-Talbot/1900 detail-oriented, makes his films from the inside out. Physical realism, attention to detail in animal behavior (compares the dragon’s movement to a snake falling out of a tree, or a dog resisting being force-fed).

    ReplyDelete